|Minor Team Contact Details 2017 (U18 & U17)|
|Greg Foxe, Head Coach||087-6176821||Email Greg Foxe|
|Joe Kelly, Admin Manager||086-2366690||Email Joe Kelly|
|Barrie Breen, Coach||Email Barrie Breen|
Welcome to the home page for the Boys U18 & U17 Team of 2017.
This Team caters for boys born in 1999, 2000 and 2001 and we are always delighted to welcome new and returning players. Please contact us if you have any queries.
Major Changes for Minor Football in Meath
For 2017, Meath GAA have decided on some MAJOR CHANGES for U18 & U17 football in the county as the GAA transitions from Minor U18 to Minor U17 football beginning in 2018.
What does this mean for us?
- From February to May 2017 there will an U19 League and an U17 League (‘Spring Leagues’) run in parallel with matches played on alternate weeks – where previously there was an U18 League.
- In late Summer Championship there will be an U18 Minor Championship and an U17 Autumn League run again in parallel, much like previously time-wise [more details to follow at a later stage]
- For the Spring Leagues, the U19 and U17 teams will be managed separately;
- U17s by the U18/U17 Team Management and
- U19s by Liam Walsh, David Brodigan
- The U18 & U17 group of players will continue to train together.
U18/U17 Team Management 2017
Greg Foxe – Head Coach, Joe Kelly – Manager and Barrie Breen.
For 2017 Greg Foxe, assisted by Joe Kelly and Barrie Breen will be coaching the Minor U17 team for Spring League and Minor U17 & U18 teams for Summer Championship. We will be working closely with the U19 and U16 Management Teams as some players will be involved in more than one team.
The U19 Team, managed by a separate Management Team will taking part in the U19 Spring League and will provide football for the older 1999 players (U18) who would be ineligible for the Minor U17 competitions.
First Minor U17 Competition of 2017 – Spring League Division 1
The 2017 Meath Minor U17 League begins in earnest on Friday 17th February and the teams that will make up the Division 1 League will present a tough challenge. This is a great competition and we ask all U17s across our parish who are turning 17 (in 2017) or 16 to come out and play with us. We have commenced training but it is not too late to come and join us.
For more up to date information, see our Team communications options below.
Football training – Football training is currently on Thursday evenings in Piltown, usually 7 to 8pm or 8 to 9 pm but this can vary due to pitch availability, weather. We have indoor options when weather dictates at this time of year. We will advise via TeamApp and/or Text.
Fitness training – We have been doing some pre-season fitness training over last few weeks, initially on Sunday mornings on Bettystown Beach and more recently an S&C program – a new club initiative under the supervision of Niall Ronan, the Club’s new Performance Coach. This program is designed to help the players develop and improve, eat healthily whilst minimising injury.
U17 Team Communication
[TeamApp “Cilles2000ers” and on Twitter ‘@cilles2000ers’]
In order to improve communication with parents and players, we will be using:
TeamApp – will be our primary means of communicating with parents and players. It’s a free app which works on any smartphone/tablet plus there’s a website version for desktop/laptop. Once set up you can view training and match details plus directions & maps, check future events, view articles and photos, control notifications, etc. To get set up, you can one or both of the following (same log in details):
- Smartphone App:- download the app ‘TeamApp’ (from Apple’s App Store or Google Play) , sign up to TeamApp, log in and search for “Cilles2000ers” and request to join our group..
- Website version: – go to www.teamapp.com and search for “Cilles2000ers” (or just follow this link Cilles2000ers) and request to join our group…
- Any problems email Joe or ask at training.
Twitter – we are now using a Twitter account to compliment GoCillesU16s TeamApp for latest news and updates. Just search and follow ‘Cilles2000ers’ @Cilles2000ers
Texts – will be used for reminders and a backup.
Facebook – updates on the club Facebook Page ”St Colmcilles GAA Club’ from time to time.
Cilles Website [here on www.cilles.com] – for mainly general information. We will try to update this where possible.
FINALLY – we ask that parents/players
- Reply or inform us ASAP as to availability for Training and Matches when sought.
- Advise ASAP us of any injuries, other sports or activity commitments, etc, to help us monitor player welfare.
Last Year – in 2016
2016 U16’s WIN Division 2 League Final against Walterstown
(Monday 30th May 2016 @7:30pm, Pairc Tailteann)
Our U16 Boy’s team won the final against Walterstown in the Division 2 League Final in Pairc Tailteann on the 30th May 2016. Under the coaching and guidance of our head coach Greg Foxe, this group of players have come on strongly after a slow start back in March to now wining silverware. Led by joint captains Con and Stephen, great credit is due to everyone of the 25 lads on the panel who have put in a big effort.
Photo below courtesy of Declan Lynch (dlynchpics.com)
U16’s Loose 1-17 to 1-14 to Navan O’Mahony’s in
Division 1 Summer League Semi-Final 2016
(Wednesday 3rd August 2016in Navan)
Our U16’s played great football and were unfortunate to loose out to a Navan O’Mahony’s side that went on to comprehensively beat Ratoath 5-13 to 0-7 in the Final the following week. Our lads can hold their heads up high for great performances all round and but for some strange decisions could and should have won.